Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Crochet Books

Over the last few months thanks to various very kind gifts for different things I have accumulated a number of new crochet books and I thought you might like to see them and to know what I think of them so here is a little book review.

First is Around the Corner Crochet Borders by Edie Eckman.  This is all in US crochet terms, so if you are in the UK you need to bear this in mind.

I haven't made anything from this book yet, but, there are lots of really interesting borders, with good written instructions, a chart and a clear photo of the finished border.

I am looking forward to finishing something flat and square or rectangular so that I can add a border from this book.


You might have seen Modern Crocheted Shawls and Wraps by Laura Strutt as I think that I have seen it on several blogs.

This is a lovely book.  There are 35 projects, some of which I will never make, but many of which I would love to make.  I am already using the stitch pattern of one of the wraps to make a cowl.  The instructions are very clear, but I would like a chart for some of the more complicated designs and also a flat photo of the finished item.  They are beautifully styled, but it isn't always possible to see all of the details that you might want to look at.

Overall though another lovely book.


If you read any crochet related blogs there is a very good chance that you will have seen Mandalas to Crochet by Haafner Linssen on more than one occasion recently.

There are lots of different mandalas, the instructions are really great with written patterns, a chart and very clear - flat which I like! - photos of each mandala.

I am very anxious to get making several things from this book!!


Finally a bit less serious than the other three books.  Tasty Cute by Annie Obaachan.  This was a gag gift from my husband as it was in The Works - very reduced price bookshop - for £1.00.  It has lots of fun crocheted food patterns from cakes to sushi and lots in between.

I am not sure that I will be crocheting any food anytime soon, but if you wanted to make some play food for a child for example I think this would be great.  The patterns are in US terms only.


So those are my reviews.  As and when I make things from these books I am sure I will share them with you and in the meantime I will enjoy looking at them and reading the patterns.

Do share your favourite crochet pattern books as I would love to know what you are enjoying.

Amy


This is one of the posts that I wrote in August to be published in September but publishing it got delayed by my need to take a blog break.

15 comments:

  1. I love the look of the borders/edges book. I need a little inspiration for finishing a throw I am in the process of doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if I chose one of those books it would be the mandala one, can you believe I've never made one myself. I've reviewed a knitting book on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Thanks for showing us your crochet books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tons of crochet books and magazines but very seldom do I make anything from them. I really need to branch out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you many good 'vibes' and a hug concerning your recent posts. It is never easy...
    Regarding the books, I gave my 12-yr old crochet whiz Haafner's mandala book and she gave it a great review, as you did. Not only is everything beautiful, but it it incredibly well-written, and believe me, we have had somewhat (to put it diplomatically!) of a distressing time in the past trying to figure out un-proofread patterns only to find out later that there were typos...grrrr...something which I am confident will not happen with this one! We are also proud owners of all of Edie Eckman's books, and she is just wonderful! US patterns are what we use, but she is so unbelieveably clear that with even my semi-post-beginner crochet knowledge, I have never had any problem...granted I'm still happily wallowing in the eye candy of her 'motif' book, but the borders book seems to Ms.Crochet to be equally easy to manage, as far as being accessible. Hello from the US! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the looks of all of them, but think I'll go looking for the Crochet Borders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Amy, what lovely books! How I wish I knew how to crochet because my oh my, what delightful projects I see!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the crochet borders book and have used quite a few of the edgings on different projects. I like the look of the mandala book, will check to see if I can find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one with shawls and wraps should be a good one. They are "in" at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The books look wonderful, so full of fun ideas.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful crochet books. Looking at them makes me wish that I could crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Crochet Borders especially attracts me. I got the The Finer Edge by Kristin Omdahl but I have yet to put it to good use. However it is laid out in the way you described liking, Amy. It is inspiring to look at new patterns, isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review on your latest crochet books. I do have the Around the Corner one which I use quite often for edgings in my blankets but I am now tempted to add to my collection. The shawls and wraps one is crying out for me to add it to my Amazon basket but then the mandala one could be joining it too, hopefully I might get some money for my birthday which is coming up shortly and then I can indulge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the books look great. I think the shawls and wraps book may get sneaked onto my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of the shawl book, I am really getting to grips with my crocheting now so love seeing your makes.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx