Thursday, 6 October 2016

Listening to my books - Casting Off

I listened to Casting Off by Libby Purves one afternoon while doing some sewing.  The book was good company for an afternoons sewing.  I like listening to something rather than watching something when I sew because I cannot look at both and I prefer to concentrate my gaze on the sewing!

Libby Purves work was new book.  I haven't listened to or read any books by her before so didn't know what to expect, but if I came across another book by her I would be happy to read it - or listen to it.



Casting Off tells the story of Joanna and her family.  Joanna runs The Bun in the Oven with a friend, but one day after it all becomes too much she runs away to sea.  The story tells what happens after Joanna has left, how her family cope and what will happen next.

There is a lot of sailing terminology in the story and I got the feeling that this was a euphemism for other things which I have to say that I didn't totally understand because I don't know anything about sailing!  Of course I got the casting off bit!  That I do know.

Some of the plot was rather unrealistic and fanciful, but helped to take the story along.  As Joanna travels along in the boat so does the story, and the story of her life.

As I said, it was a good listen and certainly good sewing company!

I don't know if Casting Off is a good introduction to Libby Purves work or not, but it was a good one for me!

Happy reading and listening!

Amy

This is one of the posts that I wrote in August to be published in September but publishing it got delayed by my need to take a blog break.

17 comments:

  1. Amy, I recommend A Long Walk In Wintertime by this author - it is a few years since I read it but it was a thoroughly good read. Must look up Casting Off as I don't think I have read that one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have take to listening to audio books while spinning, I have had a fair amount downloaded for ages and now working through them slowly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not reading much at all of late so I am going to investigate listening to books for a few weeks. The library bus is due today so I am hopeful they will have some available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never seem to get the opportunity to read books and I've not thought of audio books before. I might look into this. I'm glad you enjoyed "Casting off." X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I've never listened to an audio book myself before, they're such a good idea when you're doing other things at the same time. I often have to pause the tv when I'm doing something else as I find I need to watch so an audio book would certainly solve that problem. I've never read anything by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vaguely remember reading something by this author before... "mother Country" possibly? I see to recall it was a pleasant read and not too demanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I automatically thought a book called "Casting Off" was going to be about knitting! I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't seem to get away with talking books. I much prefer to have a book in my hand. I think they are a great idea especially when you are stitching/knitting etc. I might give them another try. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a nice book Amy and thanks for the recommendation. I hope all is well with you. Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit I'm only read one of hers - How Not to Be a Perfect Mother. It was years ago. Probably when I was feeling a little overwhelmed at being a Mum and not being perfect. Casting Off would make me think more of knitting than sailing - sounds interesting. There are some books that I find really hard to read but are great to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love audio books. I listen whilst walking my dog, and also whilst cooking or doing cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know I am an audio book fan Glad you like them too.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of her work, but one of my favourite books of all time is 'A Long Walk In Wintertime' It's set in Norfolk, where I live, and I found it absolutely enchanting. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Linus group meets at the local library, I think I'll give the audio's a try. There is nothing on TV anyway. Thanks for the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I listen to Podcasts all the time while cleaning the garage and such. Might try listening to some books for a change. great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the story introduction, Amy. I do want to start listening to stories while I work for the same reason you have. Thinking of you and yours with love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read LP book about her life working in Radio, it was a bit of a trudge if I'm honest But I love listening to her on Midweek on Radio 4.
    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by to visit and for leaving a comment, I love hearing what you have to say and I read all of your messages.

All comments are moderated, so it might take a little while for your comment to appear, but it will once I have read it!

Thank you again for visiting!

Amy xx